Sunday, June 27, 2010

Please Scan the Label!


It occurred to me via a @MochaLaTae tweet that we, as a society, feel compelled to label ourselves. Often other people kindly offer to do this job for us. Labels that are given freely to me are that of Mother, Wife, Woman, Friend, Daughter, Sister, Teacher. Where I think we get in trouble with labels is when we try to define them. Good Mother, Caring Wife, Old Woman, White Teacher. I honestly do not believe that the color of my skin proves or disproves anything. Our environment has more impact on how we choose to live our lives than the color of our skin. In my mind I see myself as a girl who has grown up to love the world, her family, her friends, and her job. I always try to see both sides of the argument and am always open for discussion. Do I see myself as the Queen or the servant? I see myself as both, every single day. I am the Queen of my own domain but I serve those I love and I consider it a gift. Just don't try to label me...

No comments:

Post a Comment